Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Weekend Down South and New Job!

Last weekend we headed down to Bournemouth to visit James's parents and for him to show me around the area. Was lovely to be out of the hustle and bustle of London, however not so lovely was the coach trip on the way there. NE doesn't stand for National Express, it stands for Never Ever....as in never ever travel with them. Not only was traffic out of London bad (ok so we should have known leaving on a Friday evening), but there was an accident on the motorway meaning we were trapped on the bus for almost 4 hrs....and no toilet as advertised on our ticket! Let's just say, there was a quick drive to the flat at the other end!!

We had a sleep in Saturday followed by an enormous and lovely cooked breakfast courtesy of James's mum, then set off for a day of driving and sightseeing in the countryside. Made our way through Poole, Swanage, Weymouth, Portland, Corfe and a few others I can't remember!

Another lazy sleep in Sunday was followed by a shorter and somewhat more pleasant coach trip back (but never again, next time it's the train!!).

But all in all a perfect weekend away before I started my new job this week....am officially a UK civil servant contractor/project manager. What was I thinking, back into the public sector! But 3 days in I'm enjoying the work and the people are lovely. It's great finally feeling like I'm living here instead of being bored at home and getting despondent about my job searching. Plus if you throw in the few eccentrics (ie. nutters) that you always get in the public service it makes for a rather entertaining day ;)

Will say hi to Her Maj for you all (she's my neighbour, work building is right near Buckingham Palace....maybe I'll run into her at Friday afternoon drinks? Shall I get her a beer, a cider or a G&T do you think? Or perhaps she should get me one!!).

Sunset over Portland

Sign in Corfe.....obviously didn't get on with the in-laws?

On the walk up to Corfe Castle.

Stream near the bottom of Corfe Castle

Beautiful sunny day at Corfe Castle


View over Corfe from top of the castle

The castle from our place of choice for an afternoon cream tea...mmm scones with clotted cream.
Swanage

Portland/Weymouth

2 comments:

  1. I too have travelled by NE and agree about the Never Ever. You're actually lucky...my trip was from Perth in Scotland to London and it took over 9 hours! I got out of London last weekend and took the train...absolute bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S Congratulations on the job! :-)

    ReplyDelete