Monday, December 21, 2009

SNOOOOOOOOOWWWW!!! :)

Ok I will admit it up front...I am a foreigner and I am very excited by snow! But at least I admit it! There are a lot of people at work who are pretending to be soooo over the snow, but then sneaking little peeks out the window to see if it's settling on the ground. I see you people!

This morning I gingerly made my way to the tube, through the iced over footpaths. Didn't quite make it safely after slipping on the ice, bruising my knee and elbow and staining my new jacket. Followed by being stepped over by the elderly couple behind me who just kept walking without even an "are you ok dear"?

The last few days it's been trying desperately to snow in London. Lots of place outside the city have had a lot of snow, but due to the city retaining a bit of heat it seems to hit the ground here and melt not long after. But today the snow came down...and stayed! Everyone at work was a little panicked, as being Britain, everything stops for 3cm of snow! Will the train be delayed? Will the bus be running? Will I slip over on the way home? Will the district line be working? Just a few things heard around the office this afternoon before everyone dashed out the door before the snow got any heavier. However when I got to Southfields tube I understood why....

The council must have run out of salt, or taken a gamble and not purchased any at all, because there was icy slush everywhere that was beginning to freeze again, making our very own skating rink on the footpath. After waiting at the bus stop for 10 minutes James rang to say he'd heard the buses weren't running. We have quite a steep hill leading up to our house and the buses weren't able to make it up on the icy roads! So a trudge home in the snow for me it was...15 minutes and soggy, cold, wet feet later....I arrived home.

God bless London!




1 comment:

  1. Love the pics! Can't believe those people just stepped over you!! Hang on...yes I can. They would have had to make eye contact with you, a stranger, and in London, that's just not done! :-)
    I'm in Ham and we seem to have missed a lot of the big snow too :-(

    ReplyDelete